Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Laura Ingalls Wilder Gingerbread

As the temperatures cool down and we head into Fall, I immediately turn to spices and brown colors and anything ginger and pumpkin. 

I have made Gingerbread before but hadn't yet tried the Laura Ingalls Wilder recipe, and I have been asked a couple times if I had the recipe, so I decided that today was the day.

It smells amazing as it is baking!

Gingerbread

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Gingerbread

Mix together:
1 C. brown sugar
½ C. shortening
1 C. molasses

Add:
2 t. baking soda that has been dissolved in
1 C. boiling water

Sift together then add:
3 C. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
1 t. cloves
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. allspice
½ t. salt

Add last:
2 eggs, well beaten

Bake at 350 in a greased 9 x 13″ pan until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Gingerbread

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great recipe, but one question, do we discard the water after the baking soda foam has frrothed over into the bowl, or is it added to the mixture?

    I have a recipe I'm planning on trying a recipe next week called shoofly cake, but have been thinking about adding spices to it, as the only flavor in it comes from the molasses.

    I borrowed several crochet basics books from my library, and found one that I found most helpful. I've been practising stitches and developing experience so I become confident on the tension of stitches. I plan on trying that hat pattern you wrote about once I feel ready to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at this is making my tastebuds go!! It looks and sounds absolutely scrumptious. xx

    ReplyDelete