Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homemade Fettuccine Noodles

So a few days ago my husband gave me one of my Christmas presents early.  He just couldn't hold it in anymore because he knew that it was something I had been wanting for a while.

December 12

I had NO clue what it was, even though he kept throwing hints around.  When I opened it up, I was pretty ecstatic.

See, I've been wanting a pasta maker for years, just never got around to buying one.

December 12

In my journey to make as much homemade as I can, making pasta was one thing and now I have the perfect excuse to get right on it.

The recipe I used for this batch came from the book that came with the Pasta Maker.

Very simple recipe and makes quite a big batch of noodles. This is the basic pasta recipe which can also be used to make spaghetti, angel hair and lasagna noodles.

Homemade Fettucine Noodles

PASTA
Mamma Antonietta

4 eggs, at room temperature
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup tepid water or as needed


1. Place flour on a wood board, make a well, and break the eggs into it.
2. If you prefer, you can mix it in a bowl with a fork, or in an electric mixer with a
dough hook.
3. Slowly incorporate the flour into the eggs.
4. It will come together in a smooth, elastic (manageable) ball, with just enough
moisture that it sticks together, but does not stick to the table or bowl.
5. You may need to add a bit of water if the dough is too dry and crumbly, or a bit more
flour if too wet and sticky.
6. Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes covered with a towel. (If in a hurry, you can
skip the resting period.)
7. Use a sharp knife to cut off a chunk from the ball, and roll it to about ⅛” (2.5 mm)
thick. This should be about the thickest setting on your pasta machine.
8. Sprinkle some flour in the middle of the flattened sheet, fold it double, and roll it flat
again.
9. Repeat at least a half dozen times, until the sheet has taken shape.

December 12

10. The dough should be relatively soft, however anytime it seems too moist, sprinkle a
little flour.
11. Finally, roll it to the desired thickness for cutting.
12. After cutting, sprinkle liberally with flour, to keep it from sticking in bunches until
you get it into the pot of salted boiling water.
13. Pasta strands can be hung from a drying rack, to keep from sticking until they’re
ready for the pot, or to dry for freezing.

December 12

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks so yummy. My mouth began to drool upon the sight. :)
    - MiracleNoodle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so cool...what an awesome gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got one of these for Christmas too but still haven't used it. I had a baby in Sept. and he is my third in 4 and a half years so making my own pasta hasn't been on the top of my to do list but I believe I might make some tonight.

    ReplyDelete