Sunday, August 26, 2012

Homemade Beef Jerky

My boys love jerky, but I don't love the cost of it.  I always find it so expensive to pay close to $5 for a small bag that is half empty anyway.

So, I make my own at home, which is really easy to do, much cheaper, and you can get the flavor you want.

This is the first jerky recipe I tried, back when I was making it for the first time and scared of messing it up, not knowing how to season it properly.  Totally ridiculous because you can season it however you like.....I've made Teriyaki, Spicy, Jalapeno, BBQ, you name it.

The best cut that I've found is the Beef Top Round.  Just slice it really thin while it's still semi frozen.  I also like using the thin sliced different cuts of meat I get at the local Asian Market.  Just experiment with different types of cuts.

Homemade Beef Jerky

Easy Homemade Beef Jerky

2 lbs of beef
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon honey
liquid smoke (you only need a drop or so, it's very strong)
garlic powder
onion powder
1 jalapeno pepper


Slice the jalapeno pepper up.  Be careful please, use gloves and wash hands very well afterwards.  You don't need to be precise, just rough slice it up and add it to a bowl.

Grate in the garlic cloves.   Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, then add in the sliced beef.

Give it all a good stir, then pour into a ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, lay out the beef strips on your dehydrator trays.  Crack a little bit more black pepper on top and set it on LOW for 6 or 7 hours.

My dehydrator is really old, it doesn't have a low or high setting, just an on/off button.  I turn it on and walk away for 6 hours or so.

Check on it often, rotate the trays.  Remember that the outer edges dry quicker than the inner ones.  If need be rotate the beef pieces as well, move the outer ones to the inside and the inside ones to the other edges to dry.

When done, remove the jerky and enjoy :)


5 comments:

  1. We were just talking on holidays how we've got to find a recipe for jerky with jalapeno in it. We're giving yours a try next batch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a point. It's not that jerky doesn't deserve its price. The amount per bag is just too little, leaving you wanting more. As in mooore. >.< Just save up for a dehydrator and it would mean jerky indulgence. :D Have you tried making a spicy version? Maybe that would reduce your boys' appetite for it. ;] -->Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small bits of content which are explained in details, helps me understand the topic, thank you!
    Beef jerky

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful beef recipe. I would love to try it. Thanks for sharing it.

    Grace Crawford (Website Link to Black Pepper Beef Jerky)

    ReplyDelete