Thursday, January 05, 2012

Tuna and Bread Lasagna

Yes, I totally went there.  Tuna....and BREAD.....lasagna.

It does sound quite weird doesn't it, a little off the wall and just not what we would associated a typical lasagna with, but I like trying different dishes out and this one was found in a Portuguese cooking magazine.

I will tell you right off the bat that my husband told me he would try it but he is not making any promises, after all, Tuna is not one of his favorite things to eat, matter of fact I think Tuna is not something he likes at all.  And then throw in the whole bread thing and I think I may have just shocked, confused and scared my husband to death.

The kiddos though?  They're up for it, then again they're like me, mention Tuna anything and we're all over it.

But enough babbling, let me show you how to make this lasagna.

2012_01050044

Tuna and Bread Lasagna

1 small onion, diced
1 half green pepper, diced
1 green onion, sliced
little bit of olive oil
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
1 bouillon cube (it's supposed to be fish flavored, but I only had chicken, so chicken it was lol)
1 cup of water
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (I used fire roasted)
3 cans of tuna in water, drained
Bechamel Sauce
Bread Slices
Shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese

Add a little bit of olive oil to a large skillet, add in the onion, green pepper and green onion. Cook over medium low heat for a few minutes just until the veggies start getting tender.

2012_01050036

Add the diced tomatoes, undrained and the tuna.

Cook for about 4 minutes just until the flavors combine well. Set aside.

In the microwave, dissolve the bouillon cube in the 1 cup of water.

For the Bechamel Sauce:

Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a small saucepan. When the butter melts, add a bit of flour in, now I don't measure and I'm sorry about that, I just eyeball it but if I had to guess I would say at least 2 tablespoons of flour, you can always add a little more if it's not thick enough.

Using a whisk, whisk it up nicely until there are no clumps. Start pouring in milk, a little at a time and constantly stirring, until it starts to thicken. You want it nice and smooth so make sure you are stirring all the time. When it starts to thicken, add a little bit of salt and the secret ingredient I always add to mine to give it a wonderful taste, is a sprinkling of nutmeg. Yum!

Stir for another sec or two and then remove from heat.

Now to set the Lasagna up.....in a baking dish, layer some bread slices to cover the bottom. You may need to break some up etc to fit it nicely.

2012_01050038

Pour a little bit of the chicken broth over them. Now add half of the tuna mixture. Cover with another layer of bread slices, pour on a little more broth over the bread, then add the remaining tuna mixture.

To end, pour on the bechamel sauce and spread it nicely, then add shredded mozzarella and some cheddar on top.

2012_01050039

Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted. Let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing into it :)

2012_01050042

2012_01050045

2 comments: