Friday, August 12, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits

I have a huge collection of Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks, actually I can’t seem to walk into any Cracker Barrel without heading straight to the cookbooks section and grabbing another.  It’s a bad bad habit but I can’t break it because I just adore the books.

Buttermilk Biscuits

I think aside from the recipes, the one thing that captivates me is all the cool little tips and tricks littered throughout the book, every single page has something neat that you read and think “Oooh I could do that….Oh I like that idea”.

But back to the recipe.  Hubby is home from work today and he loves him some biscuits and gravy but I really didn’t want to just pop a can, not that there’s anything wrong with that, I’ve done it many times and I’ll do it many times more, but I just wanted to make it from scratch…..cause it IS our 13th wedding anniversary too, in case you were wondering what the special occasion is.

Anyway, here we go, biscuits and gravy.

Buttermilk Biscuits

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 c. all purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 c. lard or shortening, chilled in freezer
2/3 to 3/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. butter, melted
Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.

Buttermilk Biscuits

Cut in lard or shortening until a crumbly texture is reached. Stir in buttermilk until incorporated and dough leaves sides of bowl. Dough will be sticky.

Buttermilk Biscuits

Knead dough 3 to 4 times on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness, about 2 to 4 passes with a rolling pin.

Cut dough with a biscuit cutter, pressing straight down. (I can’t for the life of me find my biscuit cutter, so I reached for something that works JUST as well, a mason jar lid and the little edges help to lift the cutter right up)

Buttermilk Biscuits

Place biscuits on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 500 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
Brush tops of warm biscuits with melted butter. Makes about one dozen.

Buttermilk Biscuits


© 2006 - 2012 Full Bellies, Happy Kids - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment