Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Steak Pizzaiola

So one of mine and my husbands favorite shows is Everybody Loves Raymond.  We've watched it when it was on the TV, we have all the Seasons and we even watch any repeats that we catch on TV.  We like it THAT much.

2011_01040015

One of the things that always catches my attentions in movies or shows is food, I mean I just can't ignore it, it makes me salivate and it makes me crave different dishes etc.

Such is the case with this recipe.  They kept talking about Steak Pizzaiola, eating Steak Pizzaiola and showing Steak Pizzaiola and I got a major craving but I had never made it and was thinking it was this elaborate recipe that would cook all day and would require a special cut of steak.  I was determined to make it though.

Much to my surprise I found quite a few versions online and they all looked super easy to make which then made me wonder if it would be as tasty as it sounds with such simple ingredients.

It IS and has now been added to my list of family favorites.  SO good.

2011_01040013


Steak Pizzaiola
Adapted from different sources online


INGREDIENTS:

1 lb beef steaks, thinly sliced
3 TBS flour, for dredging
3 TBS olive oil
3 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
1 14 oz. can of Italian plum tomatoes with their juices, hand crushed
2 TBS fresh chopped basil
salt and pepper to taste


METHOD:

Trim excess fat from the steaks and notch the edges slightly with a sharp knife to keep steaks from curling while cooking. Pat the meat dry and dredge lightly in the flour. Throw away any flour that is not used.
In a large heavy skillet heat 2 TBS of oil with garlic over medium heat. As soon as the cloves are golden, raise the heat to high and push them to the side. Place the meat in the skillet and brown quickly on both sides. Remove meat from pan and reserve.

Add the tomatoes to the pan with the remaining oil and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for about 10- 15 minutes until the liquid has thickened and reduced. Discard the garlic cloves and return steask to the pan. Cover them with the sauce and then with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes more or until steaks are cooked through. Serve immediately!

Serves 4.

2011_01040014

Note:  I didn't use frying steak, my family doesn't like those so I used Beef Tip Steaks and just cooked them a little longer.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! That looks so good, kind of reminds me of what I made for dinner last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very good Sandra. Reminds me of Swiss Steak in a way! I love Raymond! One of my favourite shows. I love the bit at the end of the credits where they always set down a plate of food. I can't wait to see what it is each time. It always looks so good! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking very tasty...
    It sounds very easy to make and the result is very apelling....

    Kisses,

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I have to make this, my kids love meat (especially steak) and they love anything with red sauce, so looks like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh Sandra, this coffee cake looks beyond yummy! You have exquiste taste when it comes to food AND televison series. I, too, absolutely adore "Everybody Loves Raymond!" I know every episode by heart. I lived for Monday nights --from September 1996 to May 2005, and when the series went into syndication I was in heaven. An hour of Raymond EVERY night! I, too, have each season on DVD. How can one NOT love Raymond? I bet you could teach Debra a thing or two, in the kitchen. I bet, you could even teach an old pro like Marie a trick or two, as well! :)~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Hi Sandra ...

    About 9 years ago, my husband's aunt made steak pizzaiola for us while staying with us after the birth of our last child. Our family LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. I never got her recipe and had not heard of it since ... this is,until now.

    THANK YOU for posting this recipe. I can't wait to bless my family with a batch of steak pizzaiola - it will surely bring back very fond memories of Mr.B's Aunt Jean, who is now deceased.

    Again, Thanks
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete