Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Carne de Porco a Alentejana! (Pork & Clams)

I'm sure the title has confused you a bit, all it translates to is this delicious Pork dish with clams and sausage from the wonderful Alentejo in Portugal.

It's a really good meal and I haven't made it in a while, but that is what's on the menu for tonight so here we go....let's get the meat marinating for an hour and then we'll meet back here afterwards to fix it ok?

Photobucket



Pork & Clams

1 1/2 lbs Pork chops, cut into bite size chunks
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
2 or 3 tablespoons of diced pimentos
1 onion finely chopped
1 small carrot, thinly sliced
Half a pound of smoked sausage, sliced
1 small can Minced Clam, drained
Beef stock or white wine

Mix everything in a bowl, I'm using one of my Pampered Chef ones with the lid, it makes it easier to mix it all.....

Photobucket

and set in the refrigerator to marinate for at least an hour before cooking.

Photobucket


Now let's get cooking.

In a skillet, add a little bit of olive oil, the garlic and the onion. Fry for a minute or two.

Add in the pork chops,

Photobucket

the carrots and the sausage and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.

Photobucket

Add a little bit of the stock, just enough to keep the meat from drying up.
Keep an eye on it and keep adding stock when needed.

About 10 minutes before you serve, add the clams and stir well to incorporate it all.

Photobucket

In the meantime, peel and slice potatoes into cubes....fry in hot oil and season with salt and pepper. I remember my greatgrandmother making these fries, they are one of my favorite side dishes.

Photobucket

This is such an easy meal to put together and you won't believe how delicious it tastes. I tell you when I make homemade fries they don't last, they are literally being picked off the serving dish LOL

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. One of my faves! I'll be back, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the chicken with the swiss cheese..YUM YUM YUM!

    I did the meat with the bacon...WONDERFUL!

    -sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful and yummy! I hope you can stop by my Tasty Tuesday with one of your great recipes one day! I'll be back! Thanks for the great post!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favourite meals! I make it lots of times and the kids love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this yesterday. I was a bit confused by the recipe, so I ended up mixing everything together (not the potatoes, of course) and letting it all marinade in the fridge overnight. Then I cooked it all together in a large skillet. I served it with the fried potato cubes and some corn. My husband and I were the only ones who ate (granddaughter was sick and not hungry) and there were NO LEFTOVERS. :) We loved it.

    I unfortunately did not have any sausage, but will add it next time I make this, as I'm sure it could only make the dish even better.

    ReplyDelete