Wednesday, September 13, 2006

SHRIMP JAMBALAYA!!!

Tonight's dinner is Shrimp Jambalaya, and even though I'm feeling HORRIBLE, I still cook. It's the one thing that I can't let go of even when I'm most definitely NOT up to it.

SHRIMP JAMBALAYA

1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, chili powder and pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

In a large skillet, cook the ham, onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender.

Stir in the broth, tomatoes, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add shrimp; cook 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaf before serving.

Yield: 4 servings

1 comment:

  1. Sandra, as usual you come to the rescue. I have to deliver a dinner tomorrow to a woman who has breast cancer, going through chemo. We try to not all take the same thing. I'm confident nobody else would bring this, perfect. I'll make double and my husband will think I hung the moon. Anything with shrimp he loves.

    ReplyDelete