Sunday, July 30, 2006

MENUS AUG. 7TH - 14TH



Now here are the Menus for the following week.



Again I'm giving you the links to the recipes that have already been posted on the blog. Basil Burgers, Homemade Fries, Awesome Pot Roast, Yummy Hero Sandwich.

Here is a recipe that I have made for years and remember eating back home while growing up too. It's one of my favorites and it's one of those meals that is really filling, the kids and hubby love it too. It's also a way of having my kids eat veggies.



Chicken A La King

1 lb chicken tenders, cut into bite size chunks
1 small onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 cup chopped carrots
1 small can of mushrooms

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper to taste

1 teaspoon garlic, crushed

olive oil

1 quart Heavy Cream


In a pan add olive oil and all ingredients, except Heavy cream. Cook on medium high for about 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and onion, green peppers and carrots are tender. Again, remember that I eyeball, so I usually go in there and stir often and add a little bit of water to keep it moist. When all the ingredients are cooked through, add the heavy cream and simmer for a few minutes until it thickens up, creating a creamy sauce. Remove bay leaf.

Serve over white rice or mashed potatoes.

**********************************************

For Desserts this week, I'm making : Jelly Rolls (I usually make two of these, one with jelly and one with whipped cream filling) and Tres Leches Cake.



TRES LECHES CAKE

1 package white cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

1 cup milk

1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream

1 container (8 ounces) whipped topping, thawed


Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Bake about 35 to 40 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch. Remove cake from oven; cool 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine sweetened condensed milk, milk and whipping cream in a 4-cup measure. Poke holes all around the warm cake, using a wooden skewer or toothpick. Slowly pour milk mixutre evenly over top of holes on cake. Let cake cool 10 to 15 minutes more to absorb all the liquid. Cover and refrigerate cake in pan at least 1 hour.

When cake is completely cool, spread whipped topping evenly on top. Cut into pieces and serve with fresh fruit. Keep cake covered and refrigerated.


Look below for the menus for July 31's to August 6th. :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh, how great does that Tres Leches cake sound? I generally only do really rough planning for lunches - but I love the look of your plan! Check mine out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, I copied the recipe for your 3 milk cake to make in the very near future. It looks really, really good.
    And I am really, really impressed--you even menu plan breakfast and lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm totally impressed too. I just love getting some new ideas. Thanks Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're so good....planning breakfast AND lunches too!!!! i suppose it takes the guess work out of every meal and makes for full bellies and happy kids......hey! what a great title for a food blog! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get a little excited every time I visit your recipe blog, Sandra. And I go through a lot of printer ink! Just printed both these recipes and now have to factor in another grocery store visit for the things I don't have on hand. My husband's going to think I hung the moon when I make these for him! As always, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your recipe blog and am SOO excited. I've copied about 7 recipes and can't wait to try them out. I'm making the Chicken A La King tonight!!!Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandra,

    Just wanted to let you know I did a post this morning about your recipe and food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey. I tried the Chicken A La King recipe last night....mine turned out really "soupy"...it never did thicken into a creamy sauce?? Any idea why?

    ReplyDelete